Tuesday, March 17, 2009

India


People love clicking birds, but (un)fortunately the only bird that visits my home is a Peacock. Well, this is an Indian Peacock [Pavo cristatus (Asiatic)] and I feel proud to say that its my country's national bird. Whenever I look at this bird, I'm reminded of India, since this bird is symbolic of qualities like beauty, grace, pride and mysticism.

In 1963, the peacock was declared the National Bird of India because of its rich religious and legendary involvement in Indian traditions. The criteria for this choice were many. The bird must be well-distributed within the country so it could truly be 'national'. It must be recognizable to the common man. It must lend itself to formal depiction, i.e. abstract depiction on government publications, etc. It must not be confused with the bird emblem of any other nation. It should be associated with Indian myths and legends. The peacock fit the bill. It is a sacred bird for Indians, protected not only by religious sentiments but also under the Indian Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972.

6 comments:

workhard said...

That is a beautiful picture, not very many people get to see it often..


Read poems

S@RG@M said...

Yep! Thats true... but they roam around all day long at my home....

workhard said...

Your lucky, im dying to see one in the wild, except for in the zoo

S@RG@M said...

Come over to my place... the peacocks also would enjoy getting new attention.

Jil Jil Ramamani said...

I lowes ze peacock hues. My fav.

workhard said...

Hmmm, Id love to but u are very faaar and away from where i stay...
I dont mind giving attention to some peacocks, i think that ll take a lot of misery off my head seeing some pretty creatures..